Stewart Downing was back in training on Monday morning after his arrest on suspicion of assaulting his ex-girlfriend.
The Liverpool winger looked glum as he was put through his paces just over a day after being held by police.
Downing, 27, was taken into custody in the early hours of Sunday morning after an early-morning fracas outside the Cross Keys club and pub in Yarm, south of Middlesbrough.
A row between a member of Downing's group and Donna Moloney, the mother of the player's daughter, started inside the venue and carried on outside.
It is thought Downing initially stepped in to keep the peace but he was arrested along with 32-year-old Moloney before the pair were released on bail pending further inquiries.
A source told The Sun: 'By chance his group bumped into Donna. The first disagreement broke out between Donna and one of Downing's friends. He stepped in to try and calm it down.
'But the row continued and police were called and they were both arrested.'
A Cleveland Police spokesman said: ‘Police were called to an incident at a pub on Yarm High Street. A 27-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault and a 32-year-old woman has also been arrested on suspicion of assault.’
Downing only found out he had a daughter, Francesca, when Moloney knocked on his parents' door in 2006 and introduced the child. Paternity tests were done and came back positive.
The last thing Liverpool needed after the storm that engulfed them in the wake of the Luis Suarez affair and the alleged racial abuse of Oldham midfielder Tom Adeyemi on Friday night was an off-field incident surrounding one of their high-profile players.
Liverpool would not comment on the matter on Sunday but Downing’s place in the squad for the biggest game of their season so far - the first leg of the Carling Cup semi-final at Manchester City on Wednesday - must now surely be called into question.
Downing had returned home to his native Middlesbrough on Saturday after scoring in the 5-1 FA Cup third-round win over Oldham - his first goal since joining Liverpool for £20million from Aston Villa in the summer.
That game was scarred by the abuse Adeyemi suffered 10 minutes from full time.
Merseyside Police have released a 20-year-old man from Aintree on bail after arresting him in connection with the incident on Saturday night.
Eye-witnesses said they heard Adeyemi, 20, being abused about the colour of his skin by a supporter in a section of the Kop.
PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor said: ‘We can confirm that he was the victim of racist abuse towards the end of the Liverpool versus Oldham FA Cup tie last Friday evening.
‘This abuse came from a spectator sitting in the Kop section of the ground. Tom has given a full witness statement to the Merseyside police regarding the incident and will continue to assist the police fully in their inquiries.’
Liverpool have vowed to give a lifetime ban to anyone found guilty of racially abusing Adeyemi, while the Football Association will contact the club for a report on the matter. Last night, Liverpool issued an apology to Adeyemi.
A statement from the club read: ‘Whatever the outcome of what is now a police investigation, all of us are deeply sorry for what happened on Friday night and our players and our club pass on our sincere regrets to Tom Adeyemi for the upset and distress he suffered as a result of the matter at hand.
‘Regarding the incident that occurred on Friday evening, we have given Merseyside police every possible assistance we can and will continue to provide the necessary support to their investigation in order to ensure this particular incident is dealt with properly.
‘We will continue to take the strongest possible action(s) against unacceptable behaviour during our matches.’